Last Updated: 29/06/20 6:48am
Major League Soccer has said 20 players and six club staff have tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of the ‘MLS is Back Tournament’ which is set to begin on July 8.
A total of 668 players had been tested since the resumption of full team training on June 4, with 18 testing positive ahead of travelling to the Disney World resort in Florida for the tournament, it said.
MLS said in a statement on Sunday that two more players had tested positive for the coronavirus on their arrival in Orlando for the tournament, which will be held without fans and crown a winner on August 11.
“Any individual who tests positive … while in Orlando will participate in a clinical assessment by a healthcare provider and moved to the isolation area of the hotel until he or she receives medical clearance,” MLS said.
“While in isolation, MLS players and other staff will be in daily communication with and receive remote care… including monitoring of symptoms, and regular follow-up testing.”
This is compared to the Premier League, where a total of 18 people have tested positive from 12,057 tests (0.14 per cent) conducted since they started mass testing all players and staff in May.
Back-to-back Super 6 winners?
Do not miss your chance to land the £250,000 jackpot for a sixth time this season on Saturday. Play for free.
Source : Sky Sports