Johnny Depp decided to end his marriage with Amber Heard after she allegedly defecated in their bed, a court has heard.
During another day of lurid evidence at the Hollywood star’s high-profile libel action against The Sun, the court in London heard more details about “the defecation incident” at their LA penthouse.
Depp rejected assertions from Sasha Wass QC, representing News Group Newspapers, that it was Boo, one of the couple’s two Yorkshire terriers, who “had problems with her toilet habits” and had pooed on the bed.
He had previously told the court he thought Heard “or possibly one of her friends” was responsible, with Heard allegedly describing it as “just a harmless prank”.
Mr Depp said on Friday the dogs “were very well trained”, adding that it was “a mystery” who defecated in the bed “and it was not left by a three or four-pound dog”.
Here are some of the key moments from day four in court:
- An audio recording was played in court which Ms Wass said showed Depp “playing with a knife” and threatening to cut himself in front of Heard
- Depp said he threatened to cut himself because “I thought that’s what she was doing anyway”
- The couple rowed after Depp arrived late at Heard’s 30th birthday party in April 2016 after being given some “rather unfortunate news” about his financial affairs
- The actor claimed he went to bed and was reading when he was confronted by Heard “venting how upset she was that I was so late for her birthday dinner and that I had made a fool of her and that I didn’t care and everybody was talking about how awful it was of me to do such a thing and it ramped up and became aggressive… she was very, very angry”
- Ms Wass accused Depp of throwing a magnum of champagne at Heard, which missed and the bottle smashed. Depp denied that had happened
- She then accused the actor of grabbing Heard by her hair and pushing her on to the bed. Depp denied this
- Ms Wass accused Depp of throwing a mobile phone at Heard’s face when he went to their LA penthouse to collect some belongings on May 23 2016, which he denied
- Heard was at the property with a friend, Mr Tillett Wright, who told her to call the police and also sent a text to another friend, Raquel Pennington, saying Depp was attacking Heard. Depp said the messages were “a choreographed hoax”
- Depp called Heard a “spoiled brat” in a text message the next day, told her “the purity of whatever was, has been gone for a long time” and that he he would “never be able to understand how I fell in love with you”, adding: “All you wanted was to make me f****** miserable”
- He sent a message to Heard’s agent Christian Carino which said he wanted her replaced on Warner Brothers’ Aquaman sequel
- Depp said he had gone from “Cinderella to Quasimodo in 0.6 seconds and I was without a voice at that point”
Ms Wass continued that Mr Depp was later sent photographs of the faeces, which the actor found “hilarious”.
He said in a text: “Not sure I’ve laughed that hard for years. At least the photos are hilarious.”
Ms Wass added: “There were jokes like ‘Amber Turd’, ‘Amber in the dumps’ going on.”
Mr Depp replied: “It was one of the most absurd, unexpected statements that I have ever witnessed in my life so, yes, initially I did laugh because it was so strange.”
Asked if he accused Ms Heard’s friends of defecating in the bed, Depp replied: “I was convinced that it was either Ms Heard herself or one of her cohort involved in leaving human faeces on the bed.”
Depp said in his witness statement that after the April 2016 incident, Heard “repeatedly tried to contact me either directly or through her sister”.
He said: “I wasn’t in a mindset – I didn’t want anything to do with her any more.”
Mr Depp said he thought the “defecation incident” was “a fitting end to the relationship”.
Depp and Heard met in 2011 and began living together in 2012, before marrying in Los Angeles in February 2015. They split in May 2016.
Depp is suing The Sun’s publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN), after an article referred to “overwhelming evidence” that he attacked Heard during their relationship.
The Pirates Of The Caribbean star has strenuously denied being a “wife beater” and accused Heard of being the abuser in their marriage.
The hearing continues.
Source : Sky News