Greek police have begun moving hundreds of migrants stranded on the island of Lesbos, more than a week after a fire razed the camp where they were staying.
The migrants are now being relocated to a temporary camp, with police saying the operation was intended to protect public health.
A witness said: “The operation began with many officers in white body suits, things are calm and migrants are slowly streaming into the new camp.”
Image: Police and migrants are seen at the camp that was destroyed by fire
Image: Greek police arrived at the camp to move the migrants to another location
The fire that gutted the Moria facility a week ago left over 12,000 people – most of them refugees from Afghanistan, Syria and various African countries – without shelter, proper sanitation or access to food and water.
The site where the fire took place was Greece’s biggest migrant camp.
Authorities said the blaze was started by migrants and nobody was injured.
Image: Children sit in a tent on a road near the new temporary camp near Kara Tepe. Pic: Dimitris Tosidis/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Image: Two girls sit in their tent after the camp was destroyed in Lesbos
The new temporary tent camp at Kara Tepe, near the island’s port of Mytilene, is ready to take in at least 5,000 people.
Officials have said that some of the migrants are reluctant to move to the new camp as they hope to leave the island.
Image: A man wearing a protective face mask makes his way along a road near the destroyed camp
Only 1,200 had been relocated early on Wednesday, but late in the evening large groups of migrants carrying their belongings started streaming in.
Government ministers said authorities would continue “for some more days in good faith and communication” to convince the migrants to enter the new camp, saying their transfer would be completed within a few days.
Source : Sky News