Trump ‘is doing very well’ as he is treated in hospital for COVID-19, doctor says

Donald Trump’s doctor has said he is “extremely happy” with the president’s progress.
Speaking to reporters, Dr Sean Conley explained that Mr Trump had been suffering from a mild cough, nasal congestion and fatigue – but said he has been improving.

“This morning, the president is doing very well,” he added.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Trump: ‘I think I’m doing very well’

Mr Trump, 74, is considered to be at higher risk of serious complications from coronavirus based on his age, the outcome of his recent physical tests, and the fact that he categorised as obese.
The president announced that he and his wife Melania had tested positive for COVID-19 in a tweet in the early hours of Friday morning.

Advertisement

Later that day, a military helicopter took Mr Trump to the Walter Reed Medical Center.

Soon after Marine One left the White House, he posted a video on Twitter that said: “I think I’m doing very well but we’re going to make sure that things work out, the First Lady is doing very well, so thank you very much I appreciate it, I will never forget it.”

More from US

The White House said the decision to take Mr Trump to the military hospital was “out of an abundance of caution and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts”.
He has been given two experimental drugs since testing positive: a dose of an antibody drug being developed by Regeneron, and remdesivir therapy.
At least seven people who attended an event at the White House last week have also tested positive for COVID-19 – after attendees were seen hugging, fist-bumping and not wearing masks.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Conway shakes hands days before positive test

Overall, a number of Mr Trump’s aides and allies have fallen ill with coronavirus – including Hope Hicks, one of the president’s closest confidantes.
In other developments, Vice President Mike Pence – who has tested negative – will be taking Mr Trump’s place at a Make America Great Again event in Arizona.
Sky News correspondent Sally Lockwood, who is outside the hospital where the president is being treated, said: “Mr Pence’s event on Thursday could raise eyebrows.
“But these campaign rallies have been hugely controversial in the midst of a pandemic – with people closely packed together, no social distancing, and many people not wearing face masks.”

Source : Sky News