All the latest Newcastle transfer news, rumours and gossip, as new manager Eddie Howe looks to improve his squad in the January transfer window…
Wood becomes second January arrival
Newcastle have completed the £25m signing of Burnley striker Chris Wood.
Wood says he is “delighted” to have signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Magpies and is available to play in Saturday’s Premier League match against relegation rivals Watford at St James’ Park.
Could Marcos Senesi be next arrival?
Newcastle have been linked with Feyenoord‘s Argentine defender Marcos Senesi.
South American football expert Tim Vickery:
“I liked him a lot in Argentina with San Lorenzo and I could never understand why more of a fuss wasn’t made about him before the pandemic.
“Whenever I went down to Argentina before the pandemic, the coach driver who picked me up was a San Lorenzo fan and our main topic of conversation every week was ‘why isn’t Senesi more talked about and why isn’t he in the national team?’
“He’s a left-sided centre-back but it’s Nicolas Otamendi still in that position for Argentina. He’s classy, he anticipates well and plays out from the back well.
“I’ve not seen him since he went to Feyenoord but he seems to have done pretty well there. I wouldn’t know how he’s going to get on against quicker, stronger strikers in the Premier League but if Newcastle went down this route, it would be a lot cheaper than signing Diego Carlos of Sevilla.”
Which players have been linked?
Newcastle United have joined relegation rivals Watford in pursuit of Nantes’ 24-year-old winger Ludovic Blas (Daily Star, January 15).
Newcastle view former Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini as the “ideal man” to build their team around (La Dernière Heure, January 14)
Newcastle have been told they will have to find £37.5m to sign Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic (The Sun, January 14).
Manchester United have offered Donny van de Beek on loan to Newcastle and Borussia Dortmund with the Dutchman struggling for game time at Old Trafford (Manchester Evening News, January 13).
Newcastle are trying pull off an audacious £80m swoop for RB Leipzig midfielder Amadou Haidara, who has also been linked with a move to Manchester United (The Sun, January 13).
Samuel Umtiti could still leave Barcelona for Newcastle this month despite signing a new contract earlier this week, which was designed mainly to allow the club to register Ferran Torres (Daily Express, January 13).
Newcastle United’s second offer to Sevilla for defender Diego Carlos, reportedly worth around £21m, has been turned down by the Spanish side (The Sun, January 14). Newcastle have launched a fresh bid for Carlos and want him on board in time to face Watford this weekend (Daily Mail, January 13); Newcastle have made a £25m offer for Carlos but were quickly rebuffed by the Spanish club (The Sun, January 7); Carlos is on Newcastle’s list of potential signings as they look at alternatives to Sven Botman (Daily Telegraph, January 5).
Talks ongoing between Newcastle and Stade Reims over the signing of Reims striker Hugo Ekitike (Sky Sports News, January 11).
Newcastle United are maintaining contact with Lille over defender Sven Botman (Daily Mail, January 14). Newcastle’s hopes of signing Botman in January could be over, with Lille refusing to consider the Magpies’ offer for the defender (The Athletic, January 11); Lille are considering Newcastle’s £29.3m offer for Botman, but are believed to be holding out for at least £35m for the centre-back (Sky Sports, January 8); Newcastle are considering a cut-price move for Bournemouth defender Lloyd Kelly after having an offer for Botman rejected (The Times, January 7).
Newcastle are among a host of European clubs linked with Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele (Daily Star, January 11).
Newcastle could rival Ajax for the signing of Tottenham forward Steven Bergwign, who has been the subjected of a £15million bid from the Dutch club (90min, January 11).
Everton defender Mason Holgate has emerged as a defensive transfer target for Newcastle (GiveMeSport, January 11).
Newcastle United have been quoted £50million by Bayer Leverkusen to sign Czech striker Patrik Schick (Sky Sports News, January 10).
Newcastle United are holding talks with Monaco over a move for £35m-rated centre-back Benoit Badiashile (Daily Mail, January 10).
Boubacar Kamara wants a £150,000-a-week deal from his next club after West Ham joined Newcastle in the fight to sign him (The Sun on Sunday, January 9).
Newcastle are ready to make an offer of around £10m for West Ham centre-back Issa Diop (Daily Mail, January 8).
Leicester have joined the transfer war for £15m-rated Norwich ace Todd Cantwell with Newcastle, Liverpool, Tottenham, Leeds and Roma also keeping tabs on the midfielder (The Sun, January 10); Norwich are holding out for £15m from Newcastle for midfielder Todd Cantwell (The Sun, January 8).
Newcastle are monitoring Anthony Martial‘s situation at Manchester United because of a need to replace injured striker Callum Wilson (Daily Mail, January 7).
Newcastle have stepped up their pursuit of attacking players with Liverpool’s Divock Origi and Bournemouth’s Dominic Solanke under consideration as strikers and Norwich City’s Cantwell of interest to play as a number 10 (Daily Telegraph); Newcastle and one other Premier League club are interested in signing Cantwell. Sky Sports News has been told it would require a bid of around £15m-£20m for Norwich to consider selling. (Sky Sports, January 6).
Newcastle and Italian side Atalanta have been offered the chance to sign Marseille striker Bamba Dieng. The French club are understood to have an asking price of around €15m. (Sky Sports, January 6)
Newcastle are hopeful of signing Aaron Ramsey on loan from Juventus after the Italian club said that the Wales midfielder was free to leave (The Times, January 6); Ramsey is negotiating his way out of Juventus after being told he is no longer part of Max Allegri’s first-team plans, with a move back to the Premier League with Newcastle on the cards for this month (Daily Star, January 4).
The latest players linked with a Newcastle exit
Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff is keen on a reunion with Rafael Benitez at Everton (Daily Star, January 7); Everton have made an offer for Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff. Newcastle, however, are keen to hold on to the 24-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season. (Sky Sports, January 5); Nottingham Forest are looking into a surprise loan swoop for Newcastle’s forgotten midfielder Sean Longstaff (Sun on Sunday, December 18).
Newcastle are looking to find a loan club for striker Dwight Gayle, who is surplus to requirements at St James’ Park (Daily Mail, December 4).
Confirmed Newcastle signings
Kieran Trippier – Atletico Madrid, undisclosed fee
Chris Wood – Burnley, £25m
Confirmed Newcastle departures
Follow the January transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move in January?
The January transfer window opens on Saturday January 1, 2022 and closes at 11pm on Monday January 31.
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.
Source : Sky Sports