Every animal inside an ape house at a zoo in Germany has died in a fire reportedly caused by New Year’s Eve fireworks.
Krefeld Zoo, located near the Dutch border, said its “worst fears have become reality” after the overnight blaze, which killed more than 30 animals in total.
In a post on Facebook, the zoo said: “An unfathomable tragedy hit us shortly after midnight. Our ape building burned down to the foundation.”
Image: Firemen inspect the burned out monkey sanctuary
Image: Local media reported that fireworks caused the blaze
The dpa news agency reported that chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas were among the dead animals.
Fruit bats and birds also died.
The zoo later confirmed there were no survivors in the monkey sanctuary, but said the nearby Gorilla Garden exhibit escaped unscathed, with popular resident Kidogo and his family alive and well.
Local media reported the fire was started by fireworks, but the zoo has not commented on the cause.
Police are investigating and the zoo will remain closed on Wednesday.
Source : Sky News