Watch Bournemouth vs Watford live from 1pm on Sky Sports Premier League; kick-off 2pm. Match highlights available shortly after full time on the Sky Sports website and app
Last Updated: 10/01/20 12:27pm
Team news, key stats and prediction ahead of Bournemouth vs Watford in the Premier League.
B’mouth vs Watford
January 12, 2020, 1:00pm
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe hopes to see his injury crisis ease ahead of Sunday’s clash against fellow relegation battlers Watford.
The Cherries boss revealed a couple of players were “getting really close” after the first-team squad were hit by a string of fitness problems, with striker Sam Surridge recalled from a loan spell at Swansea as cover.
Nathan Ake (hamstring), Adam Smith (foot), Callum Wilson (thigh), David Brooks (ankle), Joshua King (hamstring), Jack Stacey (thigh), Arnaut Groeneveld (foot), Charlie Daniels (knee) and Lloyd Kelly (thigh) have all been battling injuries.
Nathaniel Chalobah has shaken off a knock and will be available for Watford’s trip to the south coast.
Chalobah was withdrawn at half-time during last Saturday’s 3-3 draw FA Cup draw against Tranmere, but has trained this week.
Craig Cathcart is also set to feature, but Kiko Femenia (hamstring), Christian Kabasele (suspended), Sebastian Prodl (shin), Daryl Janmaat (knee), Danny Welbeck (hamstring) and Tom Cleverley (foot) are all sidelined.
How to follow
Tottenham vs Liverpool is live on Saturday Night Football from 5pm; kick-off 5.30pm. Sky Sports customers can watch in-game clips in the live match blog on the Sky Sports website and app. Highlights will also be published on the Sky Sports digital platforms and the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.
- Seven of the nine Premier League meetings between Bournemouth and Watford have finished level (78 per cent), the highest ratio of any fixture to be played more than twice in the competition.
- Watford have played more away Premier League games without defeat against Bournemouth than they have vs any other side in the competition (W1 D3).
- Bournemouth have lost 75 per cent of their Premier League games played on Sundays (18/24) – the highest loss rate for any team on a single day of the week in the competition (minimum 20 played).
- This will be Watford’s 500th top-flight match, becoming the 43rd team to reach the total and first since Crystal Palace in October 2004. The Hornets have lost 227 of their 499 so far, with only Stoke (242) and Fulham (231) losing more in their first 500 games.
- Bournemouth will start a Premier League match in the relegation zone for the first time since December 30th 2017 (18th), when they beat Everton 2-1 at the Vitality Stadium.
- Since beating Manchester United on November 2nd, Bournemouth have collected fewer points than any other Premier League team, taking just four points from 10 matches (W1 D1 L8).
- Watford have won 10 points from five Premier League matches under Nigel Pearson (W3 D1 L1) – only Liverpool and Manchester City have won more in the Premier League since he was appointed as Hornets’ boss (12). Pearson has won 32 points from his last 14 Premier League games with Leicester and the Hornets combined (W10 D2 L2) – among all current managers in the competition, only Jürgen Klopp (40) has won more points from their last 14 games coming into the weekend’s games.
Charlie Nicholas’ prediction
It is an interesting game, because of the league situation. It involves two of the bottom three, and a win is gigantic for either side. In my opinion, it will get one of them out of the bottom three.
Watford are knocking on the door with a bit of belief and form. Bournemouth are really struggling though. Eddie Howe has not found a solution yet, which he normally does.
He has had to abandon his balance to score goals. That’s what made Callum Wilson an interest of Chelsea, and made Bournemouth a real threat going forward with the likes of Ryan Fraser and Josh King.
They have lost their direction in that way, so he might go more on the front foot on this occasion. Watford will play a structured, counter-attacking style of game with a bit of physicality, but Bournemouth will nick it.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 2-1 (9/1 with Sky Bet)
New Year, same Super 6!
FREE TO PLAY: Do not miss your chance to land the £250,000 jackpot for the sixth time this season.
Source : Sky Sports