A 78-year-old man has become the first person in Italy to die after being infected with the coronavirus.
The man, named by Italian news agency Ansa as former construction company owner Adriano Trevisan, was among 18 confirmed cases in Italy.
The father of three died at a hospital in Padua, where he had been admitted along with another person who has tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.
There are currently 16 Italians confirmed to have the virus in Lombardy and one in Veneto.
The “index case” – or patient zero – was reported to be a 38-year-old man from Codogno who is believed to have caught the virus from a friend who had returned from China in January.
Ansa reported that he had gone to hospital with flu symptoms but been sent home. He had returned a day later and was confirmed as having the virus. Since meeting his friend, however, he had been at work, run two races, played in a football team, had at least three restaurant dinner and business meetings.
Image: The number of cases in South Korea has jumped to more than 300
Meanwhile, South Korea has reported another 142 cases, bringing the country’s total to 346. Of the new cases, 91 originated from a hospital in Cheongdo County, which was designated as one of the “special care zones” by the government.
More from Covid-19
On Friday, the confirmation of 100 cases had prompted the declaration of a health emergency in the southeastern city of Daegu, South Korea’s fourth largest.
South Korea’s prime minister Chung Se-kyun said the government would shift its focus to containing the domestic spread of coronavirus, not just its entry from abroad.
A woman in her 50s became South Korea’s second death from COVID-19 on Friday after she was transferred from Daegu to the southeastern city of Busan.
Image: The Shincheonji Church of Jesus in Daegu has been disinfected
In other coronavirus developments:
Mainland China reported a further fall in new daily virus cases on Friday to 889, bringing the total number of suspected and confirmed cases to 77,654, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University in the US
Some 2,360 people have died
15 people have died outside the mainland: Four in Iran, two in Hong Kong, two in South Korea, two from the Diamond Princess cruise liner, one each in France, Italy, Japan, the Philippines and Taiwan
Around 35 British passengers on the Diamond Princess ship quarantined in Yokohama, Japan, were on a government-chartered plane to the UK on Friday night
A total of 634 cruise ship passengers have contracted COVID-19, including four Britons
Protesters in Ukraine attacked buses carrying evacuees from China to a hospital after a fake email wrongly claimed some had already contracted the virus.
Ballet dancers train in masks amid coronavirus outbreak
President Moon Jae-in ordered immediate action to track down followers who had recently visited the Daegu church and a hospital in the southeastern city of Cheongdo, where many cases have been reported in the past three days.
:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker
The World Health Organisation said the increase in cases in South Korea does not signal an increased risk of a pandemic as the cases were mostly linked to known, existing clusters of infections.
China’s ruling politburo warned on Friday the turning point of the outbreak in China has not yet come as it said the situation in Hubei province, where it originated, remained severe and complex.
Source : Sky News