Gomorra actor and family trapped at home with coronavirus-infected body

The brother of an Italian woman who reportedly died of COVID-19 said he had been forced to keep her body in the house for more than 24 hours because he got no help from authorities.
Luca Franzese, an actor who has appeared in the mob series Gomorra, said his sister Teresa had died at home in Naples on Saturday and that she had been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.

He made a series of Facebook videos, including one with his sister’s body visible in the background, in which he claimed he had been abandoned by the country.
“My sister died yesterday, probably because of the virus, and I’ve been waiting for answers since last night,” he said.
“Guys, we are ruined. Italy has abandoned us”.

Advertisement

In another video posted on Wednesday, Mr Franzese said three more members of his family had tested positive for coronavirus.

“The nightmare goes on”, he said.

More from World

Italy is in lockdown as the country is gripped by the worst coronavirus outbreak outside of China.
All gatherings have been banned, including Mass, funerals and other ceremonies.
Teresa Franzese, 47, had suffered from epilepsy. According to her brother, she was tested for the virus only at his request, and was positive.
Now all the family is in self-isolation.
However, another report in Italy, by the news website Open, said a local politician had been in touch about the case since 8 March, when the original video was posted, trying to find a funeral home for the body.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast with Dermot Murnaghan on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker.
Another local politician, Francesco Emilio Borrelli, praised Mr Franzese and his family for self-isolating.
“They are an example of civility and selflessness. The neighbourhood has not abandoned them, but is supporting them,” he said, urging garbage collectors to remove rubbish that has been piling in the home.
The case highlights the challenges facing Italy amid the lockdown.
Mr Borrelli told Al Jazeera that it was the first reported case of somebody with coronavirus dying at home – leading to confusion as to which procedure to use.
After the video went viral, workers from funeral home went to collect the body, according to the report. She was buried with no family present.
Italy has had over 10,000 cases of coronavirus, with over 600 deaths.
Sky News has contacted Mr Borrelli for comment.

Source : Sky News