SWPL: Celtic thump Spartans | Rangers thrash Motherwell to stay top

A round-up from the Scottish Women’s Premier League as Celtic thrash Spartans 7-0, Rangers thump Motherwell 5-0 to stay top, and champions Glasgow City see off Hibernian…

Celtic 7-0 Spartans

After a quiet first 45, Celtic ran riot in the second half as Fran Alonso’s team pushed Spartans down into the relegation play-off spot.

They eventually opened the scoring courtesy of a Caitlin Hayes header in the second half. It was downhill for Spartans after the opening goal as a few minutes later, Amy Gallacher smashed the ball into the back of the net to double the Hoops’ advantage.

Shen Menglu, who came on at half-time, laid the ball off for Jenny Smith on the edge of the area and she found the back of the net with the help of a deflection.

Five minutes after coming off the bench, Clare Goldie found the top corner of the Spartans’ net to extend Celtic’s lead.

With 15 minutes to play, Spartans were unable to clear the ball in their own box and it came back to haunt them as Celya Barclais stabbed it in at the back post to make it five.

A corner for Celtic in the 90th minute allowed Hayes to head past the goalkeeper, and it was Murphy Agnew who rounded off a fantastic Celtic second-half performance as she struck home for her side’s seventh goal of the afternoon.

Spartans will hope to climb back out of the relegation play-off spot against Montrose, who they host next Sunday. Meanwhile, Celtic will look to continue their good run of form as they travel away to Hearts.

Motherwell 0-5 Rangers

Rangers remain top of the ScottishPower Women’s Premier League after a decisive 5-0 victory over Motherwell at K-Park.

Rangers opened the scoring with only two minutes on the clock as Libby Bance found the back of the net to give her side the best possible start.

A pacey Lizzie Arnot assisted the second as she took the ball down the left, before crossing to Sarah Ewens, who was left unmarked and headed past the goalkeeper.

Ewens got a second a few minutes later as a long ball from Kirsty Maclean found Ewens. She was left one-on-one with the goalkeeper and struck past Emily Mutch with power.

Jane Ross, making her return to football after being out for 16 months, would get Rangers’ fourth. Jodi McLeary played a pass into the box and although Murron Cunningham intercepted, it fell to Ross who tapped it past the goalkeeper.

Rio Hardy, November’s SWPL Player of the Month, managed to get her name on the scoresheet in the dying embers as she got on the end of a Ross cross.

Next up, Rangers host Hamilton as they look to keep their lead at the top of the table going into the break. Motherwell travel away to Dundee United in a must-win match to have any hope of a top-six place.

Hibernian 1-3 Glasgow City

Glasgow City claimed all three points against Hibernian ensuring they remain in the title conversation.

City got the best possible start and took the lead after just 50 seconds. Former Hibee, Lauren Davidson, darted down the right and crossed into the area. The cross was cleared but it fell to Abbie Larkin, who made no mistake in slotting it home from a few yards out.

Hibs would be level just over 20 minutes later though as Noami Powell sent the ball into the box from a corner and Leah Eddie was on hand to head in from close range.

It wouldn’t take long for City to get back in front though as Amy Muir cut back for Larkin, who curled it into the back of the net for her second of the afternoon.

City doubled their advantage on the hour mark, as Davidson took advantage of a poor pass from Hibs. She raced into the opposing half and played in Linda Motlhalo. She laid it off for Kinga Kozak, who struck home.

Hibs did their best to fight their way back into the game, but it wasn’t to be as City return to Glasgow with all three points. Next, Hibernian travel away to Aberdeen on Saturday as they look to climb into fourth. Glasgow City host Partick Thistle on Sunday in the Petershill Park derby.

Montrose 3 – 2 Dundee United

Montrose’s strike in the dying embers provided just their second win in the Scottish Women’s Premier League this season. The victory moves them above Spartans and out of the relegation play-off spot.

The home side took the lead with 11 minutes on the clock as former Dundee United player, Neve Guthrie’s, shot from an angle went in at the back-post.

United struck on the verge of half-time to level the scoring as captain Rachel Todd slotted past Lauren Perry from a one-on-one situation.

With 30 minutes to play, the visitors took the lead for the first time in the game. A ball from Todd found Maya Knight, who struck the back of the net for her first Dundee United goal.

As the final whistle approached, Demi Taylor shot from 25 yards out and found the far corner of the net to put Montrose level and back in the game.

In the dying minutes, Jade McLaren headed home to win the game for the Links Park side. The referee ruled the ball had gone over the line despite protests that it was prevented from crossing by a United player.

Montrose will look to extend their one-point lead over Spartans, who they are away to next Sunday. Dundee United host Motherwell on the same day, and a win would keep them ahead of Montrose in ninth place.

Partick Thistle 1 – 4 Hearts

A clinical Hearts side eventually brushed aside Partick Thistle and moved above Hibernian in the ScottishPower Women’s Premier League.

Hearts opened the scoring early as a ball from Sade Adamolekun put Katie Lockwood one-on-one with the goalkeeper. The forward made no mistake in putting the ball past the keeper.

Thistle levelled a few minutes later through Imogen Longcake. After winning a throw deep into Hearts half, Cara Henderson was able to set up Longcake for a tap in.

Right before half-time, Hearts took the lead again. The referee awarded the visitors a free kick on the edge of the box, and Ciara Grant curled it past the goalkeeper.

Hearts doubled their lead with 66 minutes on the clock. A ball from Addie Handley found Lockwood, and although her initial attempt was blocked, she was able to follow up and score the rebound.

The visitors got a quick double as a free kick found Carly Girasoli, who was in the right position to slot it home.

The Edinburgh side move up to fifth place in the table, and a point behind Thistle. Hearts host Celtic in their final game before the break while Partick Thistle travel ‘away’ to Glasgow City next Sunday.

Hamilton Accies 1 – 1 Aberdeen

Hamilton Accies claimed a point at home to Aberdeen despite a Megan Quinn red card late in the second half but are now five points from safety.

Chloe Gover opened the scoring for the Dons as she curled her free kick into the top corner of the Hamilton net.

Josi Giard, Hamilton’s top scorer, equalised for her side in the 65th minute – but just 10 minutes later, Megan Quinn was given her marching orders after receiving a second yellow card.

Despite the red card, they managed to hang on and claim a point but Montrose’s victory means they are now five points behind Spartans. Hamilton travel away to Rangers on Sunday whilst Aberdeen host Hibernian on Saturday.

Source : Sky Sports